The perfect sofa is an investment that needs to fit your home and your lifestyle so we’ve put together some expert advice to make it easier to curl up in comfort.
While it’s tempting to get excited about colour and choosing whether to go for classic or contemporary styles, we recommend getting the practicalities out of the way first so you can be sure to find the best sofa for you and your home.
Jensen sofa | @biancawildinghome
The scale of the room will influence your scheme. Would a sofa work well or might a loveseat and footstool be better for the space? Here are a few things to consider:
- Plan where you want your new sofa to sit and measure the space carefully. These dimensions will mean you choose the right length, depth and height of design. Our Sofa Sizer tool is particularly useful for working out which styles will fit your chosen space.
- As well as being able to move around the room, you’ll also need to open the drawers on your sideboard and get to the bookshelf, so think about any other furniture that’s already in the room.
- If you have narrow doors and hallways or low staircases, you’ll need to factor this in with your decision. We offer split sofas that can make delivery easier.
- If you’re unsure how your sofa will look in your home, use our handy Augmented Reality feature that lets you visualise how our furniture will look in your home.
Comfort and quality
Morgan sofa | @poursomecolouronme
It goes without saying that when you’re relaxing, quality and comfort are key. You want the furniture you love to last and be able to take everything life throws at it. Keep the following in mind before you make any decisions:
- Using hardwood in the frame makes it robust and checking that joints are screwed and glued will mean your sofa won’t squeak, creak or warp.
- It’s also important to ask about seat construction. Rather than using fabric webbing that can stretch and sag, look for seat cushions which are supported by heavy gauge serpentine springs. These will ensure the seat cushions are well supported and help with shape retention and overall comfort.
- If you prefer something that’s low maintenance but still super comfy, go for a sofa that doesn’t need you to plump the cushions.
- You want lounging to be as laid-back as possible which is why you won’t want to worry whether putting your feet up is going to damage your sofa. Choosing genuine leather upholstery or a great-quality fabric will mean your sofa looks as good as it feels, day after day.
- Now you know you’re set on a sofa that has enduring quality and scores high in the comfort stakes, you’re ready to think about the fun part.
Sofa shapes and styles
Gainsborough sofa | @valleyhome_
While some of us are drawn to fresh clean lines, modern Scandi style or a mid-century look; others want to sink into a more traditional high back sofa or stretch out on a versatile, modular pillow-back. We offer a variety of styles to suit you and your home.
Evie sofa | @mybraxtonhome_
After furniture for an awkward corner? Left or right-hand corner sofas are a clever solution that let style and comfort take centre stage while helping you make the most of your space. Plus, they are the perfect choice for putting your feet up and lounging at the end of a long day.
Malvern sofa | @budgethomeinterior_
Offering even more flexibility to play around with the layout, modular designs allow you to create the sofa that works for you. These are great in open plan areas or for busy families. Look for armchairs and footstools in the same styles so you pick and choose the pieces that best suit your needs.
Dream sofa bed
Guest rooms often double up as home offices or other functional spaces but this doesn’t mean visitors have to make do with a blow-up mattress. Our sofa beds are a brilliant solution as their dual purpose means they’re as cosy to sleep on as they are to sit on. Choose from pull out sofa beds or chaise styles that include in-built storage that’s ideal for keeping spare bedding ready to welcome guests.
Both stylish and practical, leather sofas are easy to care for and, provided they’re well made, they’ll age beautifully. Ours are carefully built using pocket springs to support the cushions which makes them even comfier and more durable. We offer a range of styles in different finishes and always ensure the whole sofa is upholstered in the best quality 100% leather so it looks great, however you position it.
Kick back and relax at the touch of a button. Our electric recliner sofas use the highest quality steel mechanisms and motors. Their space-saving design means the sofas and chairs can be used close to a wall with only a marginal gap needed for clearance.
Try before you buy
Jasmine sofa | @littlehouseofannie
We want you to be smitten with your new sofa. You can do all the research but nothing beats taking a seat and getting comfy. Set aside some time to visit us in-store and we’ll help you put together a shortlist of sofas to try.
Need some inspiration? We have a range of sofas, armchairs, loveseats and footstools to choose from, browse online and explore our collection of unique designs.
If you’re already sitting comfortably on one of our sofas, we’d love to see how it looks in its new home. Share how you’ve made it your own and tag us using #OakFurnitureland on Instagram.
The post Choosing the right sofa for your home appeared first on Oak Furnitureland Blog.